Benefits of Walking For Weight Loss
When you are first starting to introduce a new healthy lifestyle, exercise should be a main focus, along with a healthy diet and ditching unhealthy habits such as smoking, excessive drinking, and more. Walking is a great exercise to introduce when you are new to exercising and you aren’t sure exactly where to start.
Walking Has Many Benefits
Walking 3-5 times per week for 40 minutes or 2 miles has a lot of health benefits! A good goal is to shoot for 10,000 steps per day. You can keep track of your steps by purchasing items such as a Pedometer, Nike FuelBand, or other items that are out on the market currently. It is important to have a nice pair of walking shoes that will help support your body so you avoid injury. You can be fitted for walking shoes at most major sports stores or your local running store.
Walking Benefits Listed
- It helps maintain your current weight, and can aid in weight loss.
- It improves your overall mood.
- It lowers your Type 2 Diabetes risk.
- You don’t need to visit a gym and pay a monthly fee to walk. Use your surrounding neighborhood, the high school track, or even take a walk in the mountains.
- There is no exercise equipment required to walk. Other than a good pair of walking shoes, walking is FREE!
- It helps reduce breast cancer risk.
- It helps reduce the risk of a stroke.
- Walking is an activity the whole family can enjoy. Whether you have a child who can’t walk and needs a stroller or you are an empty nester, anyone can enjoy a nice walk.
- It can help lower your stress levels.
- It helps lower body fat.
- Walking can help reduce your fatigue levels.
Walking offers a long list of health benefits with very minimal cost compared to other exercises. We always recommend that you consult your physician before introducing any new diet and exercise programs into your diet.